Well, Oracle 10g second release is on his way (in about 2 more months or so, as i know), and there are some new features and tools worth checking:
- First of all, looks like oracle streams will do a very good job, and will be a good rival to other tools we had to acquire to have a good replication solution.
- Oracle ASM (Automatic Storage Management), well, I wouldn't use it in a regular one instance database, but it could be a replacement for the not so perfect OCFS in RAC.
- Transportable tablespaces are online now. No need to enter the tablespace to read only mode before exporting.
- ADDM – Automatic Database Diagnostic Monitor, helps tune your database.
- Well, as much as I hate GUI tools, especially Oracle java GUI tools, I think the Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) with the grid control is now worth checking. OEM now use SGA-attach mechanism for monitoring oracle (Just like Quest and Veritas).
- Need to build small apps? back-end apps? need to do it quick? well, oracle now have HTML DB, looks good, and easy to use.
- Like PhpMyAdmin, oracle got the Project Columbus for schema/object web browsing/altering/creating
- Oracle Backup, a new tool that will give rman the ability to backup to tapes without the need for a third party products. Supprts rman 8i, 9i and 10g.
Well, much work to do, lot of things to learn, and no time!!!